Individual Agency Complaints

Police Complaint

If your complaint is against the police, you should contact your police Chief Constable and copy in your Police and Crime Commissioner. Contact details for the police headquarters and PCC for your region can be found here.

Local Authority Complaint

In first instance you should follow your local authority’s procedure to lodge complaints.  To find this for your local authority, click here.

You can complain to the local government ombudsman, an independent organisation which looks at complaints about councils and some other authorities and organisations. It’s a free service but you must have complained to the council and progressed through each of the council’s three complaint stages before the ombudsman will usually investigate.

They have a helpline open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm – call 0300 061 0614.  Or you can write to them at The Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH or complain via their online form here.

Alternatively, you can contact your local MP or local councillor (Enter your postcode here to get the contact details for your local MP).  Alternatively, for an easy way to email your local councillor or MP you could try this website here:

Housing Association Complaint

Similar to local authorities, you should first go through your housing association complaints procedure.  If the landlord cannot put it right, or does not act, then the housing ombudsman suggests you contact an MP, a local councillor or tenant panel (see above for details of how to contact MPs and councillors).  Alternatively, if you have a tenant’s champion, you should make contact with him or her.  This is a good way to engage other agencies in solving the issue you are facing.

You can contact the housing ombudsman directly but there must be at least 8 weeks from the end of the landlord’s complaint process before the ombudsman can consider the case.  Contact details here.

If it is a different agency that has let you down, such as the British Transport Police, to get results, follow their specific complaint procedures.

General Information for all Complaints

When you make a complaint you need to include all the details about the incident(s), such as:

If you are unsure about what you have written or what you are going to say on the telephone, ask someone to help you to ensure you include all the relevant details.

Don’t forget to include your contact details and preferred method of contact in your correspondence to ensure you receive a response.

You should receive a response within 2 weeks about what they are going to do about your complaint.  If at least two weeks have passed without a response, there are other options you can consider.  If there is a good story, you may want to contact a journalist from your local newspaper.  (Note: the more people affected and the more obnoxious the anti-social behaviour, the bigger the story!)

How Are You Coping?