Don't Suffer in Silence

The police, local authority and housing association can only act if you report a problem to them. Don’t suffer in silence. If you report it, you might stop the same problem happening again. You will also make your community a safer place. Don’t suffer as Fiona Pilkington did , a lady from Leicester who in 2007 killed herself and her 18 year old disabled daughter Francecca after Leicester Police failed to investigate her 33 complaints to them about harassment.  They suffered years of abuse.  The Community Trigger  (also known as the ASB Case Review) has been created to prevent this sort of tragedy from happening again.

If you want to report a crime completely anonymously, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. They will then pass the information to the local police.

However, with anti-social behaviour, it is better to report it to the local agencies yourself wherever possible. This means you can have a direct contact with someone in the police, local authority or housing association.  Try and get a name.  Then you can contact them directly to find out what they are doing about the problem.  You can also give evidence which can be very important to getting results.

Starting to suffer?

Wondering if it’s anti-social behaviour?

Gather evidence

Are others suffering too who can help you report it?

Proof there's a problem?

It won’t get better if you don’t act

Power in numbers

There is power in numbers.  The new Community Trigger helps give victims a louder voice. With the Community Trigger you can demand a case study review of your situation.  Activate the Community Trigger if you or others have reported the anti-social behaviour 3 or more times and you think not enough has been done. See here for local contact details for your Community Trigger. It doesn’t matter if you reported it to the Police or the Local Authority or another organisation.  The Community Trigger covers all of them.

Remember, other people in your neighbourhood might be suffering from the same situation.  They might be at their wit’s end.  They might be particularly vulnerable or intimidated by the perpetrators of the anti-social behaviour. If you report your experience of anti-social behaviour, you will be offering support to other victims in the area.  The agencies are also more likely to act if lots of households in the area are making complaints. See here  for tips on how to collect and submit a petition, a good way to show that more than one person is suffering. If you feel too intimidated to make a report yourself there is an option where others can give evidence for you.  Our  Tips for Getting Evidence  page gives advice on third parties giving evidence.

The new law aims to put victims first.  We can only test if this is true if victims speak out about their experiences.


We would love to hear of your experiences.  Please complete our online survey . This will help us understand good and bad areas in the country.  This will help us give you a louder voice in your local area.  Nationally we can use this information to lobby for change.

How are you coping?