Landlord Responsibility

Landlord Responsibility

I found the landlord and went to his house and sent him a letter. He said he doesn’t care.” Ella, Reading

Ella owns her house but next-door is privately rented. The tenants play loud music all night, are intimidating and there is constant drug abuse over the fence. For 3 years Ella has slept in her daughters’ room on Friday and Saturday nights because of the noise.

I found the landlord and went to his house and sent him a letter. He said he doesn’t care.” she says. In spite of keeping a record and diary, contacting the police and the landlord, and being sure not to retaliate, Ella is getting no support. She has 2 school age children, has had to give up work with post traumatic stress disorder, and has finally decided to move.

Our Comments

The police are quick to say that no-one should have to move because of anti-social behaviour. Ella has come to a dead end in reporting ASB because the landlord says he doesn’t care. There are 2 methods that could be used to help this landlord care.

  1. By involving the Local Authority who ultimately have responsibility over the private rented sector. Given that the Council is also the place to go with any noise issues, getting them involved could help pressure the landlord to act. (See here for more information about landlords.)
  2. The Community Trigger is supposed to be tenure neutral and so if you report something to an agency (in this case the police or Council) three times in six months and nothing is being done, you can activate the Community Trigger and insist on a case review. It is highly likely that the landlord will be invited along as part of that review and the agencies may make recommendations to him.

Of course, given Ella plans to move, it is better not to be reporting any of these issues as she would need to declare them as part of the legalities of selling property.


Comments are closed.