To Move or Not To Move

To Move or Not To Move

My best advice is to move away from them … 5 families from this road sold up when this problem family moved in” ‘Chris’, London.

‘Chris’ and his partner have been moaning to the local authority since 2006 and claim lots of other people have complained about a particular family who behave in the following ways:

  • throwing rubbish, broken furniture, toys, food and animal waste over the fence
  • breaking the fence down
  • climbing on and breaking the shed roof
  • throwing stones and breaking windows
  • throwing knifes at their dog.

Residents have phoned the police, taken all the rubbish to the Council office and “filled in so many anti-social behaviour diaries they could turn them into a novel“. The problem continues and Chris, understandably, feels that it has been a total waste of their time filling out forms and complaining to the anti-social behaviour team because nobody would stand up in court against them for fear of reprisals. “My best advice is to move away from them … 5 families from this road sold up when this problem family moved in.”

If you own your house – beware! If you make a formal complaint against your neighbour, you need to declare this when selling your house. If you think you would rather move, it is best to put up with the anti-social behaviour and move quickly.

Home owners who are selling their properties are required by law to declare any arguments they have had with their neighbours. If the person selling a property fails to declare the dispute and the buyer finds out after moving in, it could result in a claim for damages depending on what information has been suppressed. Most homeowners are advised to avoid putting disputes in writing as these must be disclosed when the property is sold. But solicitors warn that even disputes not in writing can cause problems, especially if there are witnesses.

Hope for Chris

The Community Trigger enables a number of victims together to activate a case review if they feel nothing satisfactory is being done about the ASB they have reported. The new legislation now opens the way for more hearsay evidence (third party evidence) to be used to get results. Let your local agencies know this. There is a good example here where action was taken even though of 45 residents interviewed about the problem households, not one was prepared to publicly stand up in court. Agencies might try and pressure you to put yourself at risk to speak out against someone, but there can be other ways.


Comments are closed.